Saturday, June 16, 2007

Retainng Wall


I built a 33' X 1'2" retaining wall between Friday and Saturday.

Friday after work, I went to the bar with a coworker for a few beers. My wife picked me up and we carpooled home. I proceeded to mow the grass and began digging the 33' long ditch. Avoiding any leveling, digging was enough to finish the day at dusk.

Saturday was daunting. Kelli and I went to the store to pick up some supplies and pick out the landscaping block. I ended purchasing them from Market Basket for $1.80 per block which was cheaper then I anticipated. I was only able to get 100 bricks on my Z71 Chevy Silverado. I was amazed the truck was so weighted although it was a no brainer considering each block weighed 25lbs.

When I got home, I flattened the dirt, poured and flattened sand and began installing "The Wall". A project such as this isn't so bad if you space it out over several days. I however did this all in one day when temperatures reached 93F with no clouds.

Finally after the wall was complete at 5 p.m. I took a shower and my fingers would inadvertently make a fist(cramping). I would then have to pry my fingers away. I then calculated using 137 bricks at 25lbs a piece is 3,425 lbs.!The joys of completion, the pains of labor.

No comments: