Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Honda CRV Dipstick Problem

During my lunch break, I took my Wife's 2001 Honda CRV in for an oil change.

The guy pulled on the dipstick to check the oil level and out came the tube connecting to the Engine Block.

(you should of seen his Deer in the Headlights stare.)

After he scratched his head for a while, I told him to put the tube back in so at the least I could drive with a very minimal amount of oil loss. As the guy tried to do this he told me he thought it broke off and I would need a new tube and dip stick because it was all rusted. Hmmmm....yes rust was on the outside handle of the dipstick, but the tube base showed no rust or broken edges and neither did the dipstick. My speculation was that this part was press fitted, and the press finally gave way after 6 years and 190K Miles. Then I researched the net when I got back to work and found a thread explaining the same problem and the cost of having a dealer “Weld”. I wasn’t sure what “Weld” method was used but the price was $100.

I called the dealer and talked to service who said I could bring it in and they would do a JB Weld.

I called my Wife’s brother, Mikey, who is a certified John Deere Mechanic to see if he had this JB Weld. He did and I went to the farm after work and we fixed it. For the non-mechanics, which I am a JB Weld turns out to be epoxy from two tubes you mix together that can withstand high heat.

If you’re reading this and want to know the steps to fix this, read further…this should take no more then 1 hour. If you’ve done this before it will probably take 15 min. The cost of JB Weld is $8.00


STEPS TO REPAIR:-What I did in the evening so the Weld had time to bond (and what I found out the Honda Dealership would do as well) is purchase some JB Weld (tubes of epoxy you mix together) to bond the tube back in.
-Take off the plate guarding the block (4-10mm head screws)
-Clean the base of the tube so no oil would hinder the epoxy weld. I gave a generous dousing of Ether after removing the oil with a cloth.
-Clean the hole inside the engine block to remove oils. (Careful not to let debris fall in the Engine Block Hole.) I did give a short blast of ether at the hole.
-follow the directions on the JB Weld package and apply to tube.
-insert tube in hole. Lightly tap the top of the tube to make sure it is snug in the engine block hole.
-insert dip stick
-re-install guarding plate.

No comments: