Wednesday, April 09, 2008

My very first vehicle Oil Change


Yep, I decided to do this and yep, it's done. 20 minutes oil change...shoot that's nothing. 2hr and 40 minutes and I even got a free pair of oily pants.

It started with me purchasing the wrong oil filter. For some reason I thought I had V6 4.3Liter engine. It turned out its a V8 4.8Liter. (my head is hanging low for this blunder). I had to go to Auto Zone twice to get the Oil Filter and the second time I just had the guy cross reference my old filter. I looked in the owners manual book which said I needed 4.5 quarts of oil for a V6. However my old speed lube statements said they put 6quarts of oil...so I'm immediately jumped to the conclusion they overcharged me because I mechanically illiterate. As it turned out they were right I needed 6 quarts.

Regardless of the time spent on rookie mistakes, it's done and the Chevy Silverado is running great for at least then next 3000 miles. This cost me me a whopping total of $36 dollars. This includes replacing the engine air filter which was $12 alone.

Speaking of air filters here is a Public Service Announcement. During this process, I also learned my truck consists of what the manufacturer calls a "Cabin Air Filter". I've never replaced this yet it's recommended to be changed every 12K miles and I'm at 150K miles...oops. Well I found it, and leaves fell from the filter that was originally white but was now charcoal gray. So now I have clean cabin air also. "Cabin"(chuckle). I'm totally going to mention to the next passenger in my vehicle that in the event of a loss of "Cabin" pressure, do not stick your head by the vent and this will be only hilarious to me. But back to the PSA, check if you have a Cabin Air Filter. This may need to be changed and can help with removing allergins and other airborn particlulates. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job Timmy! You should be proud of yourself. Although I think it might have been cheaper to go to SpeedLube, but then you couldn't brag on yourself!