Monday, September 03, 2007

Attention!! We've got Jaundice!!!



All days now are spent with family and friends. In fact Allie meet her cousin Braydon today. It's funny people used to come over to visit Kelli and I. Not so much anymore. Now it's all about Allie.

It was around 7 pm my mother in law raised our concerns about Allie having Jaundice. Now we knew she looked a little yellow, and it was to be expected since Kelli is nursing. My wife, I know from past experiences, tends to not get excited about much but when she finally gets excited, it’s serious. Combine that with just enough medical knowledge to be dangerous and you’ll see she is dangerous. (She diagnosed a stomach ache I had as an emergency room trip to have an appendix removed. I still have my appendix.)

Now her mom is a nurse at a children’s hospital and I found also thinks in the extreme direction. So when her mom questioned the jaundice the both of them sent the conversation quickly into the direction of Allie having mental retardation.

This drives me nuts. After the mental retardation comment I was ready to drive to the Emergency room, ASAP. I really don’t want to become the worst parent ever who let the jaundice get so bad….well you know.

2.5 hours later they finally had stopped talking about it and now we’re ready to go the Emergency room. We hopped in the car, and the car won’t freakin’ start. Folks, this is the very second time Allie has gone on a car ride. One thing I do, that probably drives my wife crazy is blow up at the drop of a hat. This is the moment I usually lose it, but with the concern in Kelli’s face I keep it together. Do some finagling and start it after a few more tries.

Okay we’re on our way and I convince myself, and attempt to assure Kelli, this can’t be too bad. Her point is as long as his would have been planned, this would not be upsetting, but this is unplanned and she’s only 4 days old and we’re taking her back to the hospital. We get there 10pm’ish, sign in and head to the registration area. We get to the window and the lady asks, “May I help you.”
Kelli starts to answer “We..” stops and just starts crying while holding Allie.
The lady looks at me. “Umm yeah, we need to get a Jaundice test done.”

We go through the sign in rigmarole and finally go in for the test. They need to do a blood test. The lady takes Allie and lays her on the bed and tries to draw blood from her heel. They need two samples incase the first sample doesn’t get them the information they need. This is bad news for Allie. The lady couldn’t draw blood to save her life and after each blood droplet she collects shakes the jar. Clearly I can see she has a way to go, but she does it every time. She even laughs when Allie cry’s. This sends Kelli’s once upset mood into that of a defensive cat, hairs on the back of her neck sticking straight out and all. 20 minutes later we were both pissed and Allie’s heel is now purple instead of the vibrant pink. (For those that do not know me, I don’t exaggerate, I’m factual. It took her 20 minutes)

We just waited in the parking lot for the pediatrician to call. Our levels were at 15.4 so they were higher then the 8.7 when she left after the birth discharge. He said this wasn’t surprising, since 4 days is when they peak and to come back the next day.

We did and the level dropped to 15.2 so he said she probably already peaked, was at the plateau and is now coming down. He was right. . By the way when we got the test done the next day, it took a different lady only 2 minutes and when Allie cried she said. “Ohhh, Why don’t mom come over here to tell you it will be okay.” What a Huge Difference and that was the most perfect thing that lady said considering the blood nurse of the previous night!

So now Allie is free of Jaundice, and Kelli is fine, I’m relaxed, but most importantly we didn’t cause our daughter to become mentally retarded…yet.

No comments: